2020 - The Year That Let Me Unleash Myself

 The only vaccinations available “To stay alive” in the watershed year 2020 was Solitude and seclusion.  

Some have called it a “black swan” event of our lives. Rightly so, because numerous people have lost lives, relations and jobs.

It maybe counter-intuitive, paradoxical, and even inhumane to state that this was one of the best years of my life. But indeed it is true for me and maybe for many others!

With no time wasted on socializing with people who hardly matter to me or wasting time over trivial coffee conversations or unnecessary travel to work, I started an affair with myself. Oscar Wilde told To love oneself is the beginning of a Lifelong romance!”

Let alone loving myself, I hadn’t really taken time or effort to understand my own self. Bingo! I sat down questioning everything I have known about myself. I took online courses to help me go deeper within myself in a structured manner and question myself. I tried to figure out the purpose of my life, the vision of my life, and the legacy I would leave behind. On embarking upon this wonderful journey to demystify me, I could resonate with the words of C. G. Jung “Your visions will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.” 

The year 2020 taught me the shortness of life, its unpredictability, and to be grateful for the numerous gifts life has showered upon me. I am indeed blessed to have, what I have in life. 

      image courtesy: pexels.com

Readers are Leaders so I became a voracious reader. I read everything from self-help books to food and diet to finance books. I took up various online courses to understand something of everything I was keen on and everything about something.  I toyed with all the interests that I was ever infatuated with to understand what I was really passionate about. I kept pruning my interest list until I found my passion and my niche. The year was more about weeding out unnecessary distractions in life that do not lead to my goal and achieving unflinching focus on my niche.

I am exhilarated that I was able to define my vision and make a 5 year, 1 year, and quarter plans for myself.

With the innumerable unlearning, learning, and re-learning I have emerged a wiser, more resilient, more grateful, overall a better version of myself than the earlier me. It was indeed life turning and landmark year of my life which laid the foundation for all that I will do hereon!

As Aristotle has rightly said “Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.”Have you embarked upon knowing thyself journey as yet? 

Image courtesy: pexels.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Invisible Worker - If I Was Acknowledged and Seen